Coach Heldt's Notes

Monday, December 26, 2011

Day after Christmas 2011

Christmas has come and gone. The Knicks and the Giants had a great weekend. My wife got me a new Gators hoody, and all the boys were home for the holiday. That zone in between Thanksgiving and Christmas has closed. Staying on my diet has been somewhat difficult with all the cookies and great holiday meals. Today is a federal holiday, so this morning after dropping Tyler off at the rink for skate and shoot, Erika and I headed back to the gym. The last couple of years my knees have been feeling their age out on the ice. The walking on the treadmill does help. I spent so many years making sure my players were in shape on the ice, that over time I slowly started skating less and less with the teams. I don't like seeing coaches standing around, and if they can't skate I don't even want to see them on the ice.
I didn't want to slide into that mode. Now I have time to get to the gym and try to stay in shape for a few more years. I heard they were removing the last few pieces of the old rink out of the fairgrounds by the end of the year. Oh well, nothing lasts forever. We got back to the local rink in time to watch the last few minutes of skate and shoot. Not many players out there heading for the NHL, but they were out there because they want to play. There's still some hockey out there in old rinks scattered all around the world, but the best hockey is the kind where the players on both teams are having fun. I always knew that.

Location:NY

No comments: