Coach Heldt's Notes

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Season End

The season is over. The hockey season, not winter. That seems to be hanging in there for a few more weeks. I enjoyed this season, because I got to work with some great players. They are super kids who worked extremely hard all season. Short bench – longer than sensible shifts, and guts. Tough kids, great kids, these are the players who bring you face to face with the heart of hockey. After one game where our young goalie made some unbelievable and spectacular saves he told me he thought he could have done a little better. “Buddy, I don't think Patrick Roy could have done any better” We could have used a few more players like our core team who showed up to every cold, miserable practices and every game physically possible. I've been coaching a long time, but I learned an awful lot this season about mental toughness and courage. The next time I hear a player complain about not getting enough ice time I'll have to tell them the story of this team. It's a season I won't ever forget. Gentlemen, thanks for the education, and great success in the future. A tougher or harder working team I have yet to encounter.

No comments: