Coach Heldt's Notes

Monday, August 27, 2012

Hockey data here and there


From the cold of Ladakh in northern India, to a supersize rink in Mexico City, up to the deep freeze of Slave Lake Alberta, and back down to the lake effect rinks of New York, hockey fans all know that hometown hockey is something special in many home towns around the world. A hockey player is a hockey player, and a hockey fan is a hockey fan no matter where you are from or where you are playing. I try to keep up on lots of different teams, leagues, and players.  Every day I learn a little more about this great game, and a lot comes from watching and listening. The minute you stop learning and think you’ve figured it all out is the day you probably don’t care anymore. I see the same thing in Lacrosse, maybe even more so in some areas. You can learn a lot about your own game by watching other teams and players approach to the sport.  How do they play against other teams, and how do they play against you. Hockey and Lacrosse are thinking games as much as they are physical. Thinking requires processing, and processing requires data.  Our brains process data from what we learn. We learn by doing, but we also learn by watching, listening – paying attention and even asking questions.  “ Why did my shot not go in the net, how did that goalie stop that shot, was that what my coach was talking about when he said I leaned forward too much on my shot?”  Feed your brain. Take in as much good data as you can. See what other teams, players, and coaches are doing – not just in your home town, but in other home towns…wherever they may be.

1 comment:

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Aviator Modified

Keep Posting:)