Coach Heldt's Notes

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Root for the home team in comfort.

You have to be dressed for the weather when you go to watch a Lacrosse game. Although we tend to go all year, the regular school season is Spring. In the North East this can swing from cold rain and snow to hot humid sunny days. Winter coats to summer shorts and tee shirts - All in one short season.
Coaching practices or games, be it on the ice or from the sidelines on the field tends to block out any temperature perception. It also tends to block out most of the chatter from the stands. You have more on your mind to focus on than how cold or warm it is. That is of course until the water bottles freeze or it starts to affect players performance. Of course if the fans get out of hand, than you do tend to notice a little. Usually the refs do a fine job keeping my blood pressure up so I don't get too cold. How thoughtful they sometimes are, but that's another topic.
Lacrosse fans often tend to know players and parents on both teams. Visiting with friends from the opposing team at half time is not uncommon, and often parents from both teams will sit together and watch both teams compete. I see this in hockey too sometimes, but not as much. The battle lines seem more defined in the stands at the rink. I like to see my son's team do well, but I also go to see a good game. I don't want to be too cold, too hot, or soaked with rain. When your not coaching it's amazing how noticeable the weather is, and how noisy the fans can get.
Over the years I think I've learned a little on what to wear for the extreme weather variety, and what to have on hand in case a nice warm sunny day suddenly turns to a cold rain event.
There's something quite satisfying about being prepared and having dry socks all the way through the game.
I go for layers, and have abandoned the carhart look for wind breakers that block the wind, and shed lite rain. Hoodies are still status quo, but it's all in the layers that work well during a cold winter, I mean spring game. Snow is optional, but to be expected. By the end of the season - if we're lucky it will be short sleeved shirts, cargo shorts, and sun block.
If you see me in the stands and say something that I don't appear to acknowledge its probably because under that hoody and sun glasses I've got my earphones on listening to a Mets game.

Location:Syracuse

No comments: