Coach Heldt's Notes

Monday, July 14, 2008

Necessary Distractions

Thinking about writing and actually taking the time to do it are two different things. I knew this would be a busy summer, but usually I find the time to update my notes. I brought my PDA out to the Syracuse lax tournament this weekend stuffed in my shorts pocket with the intention to write something poignant in between Nick's games, but with all the rain and no down time between the last three games there really wasn't any time for it, plus my pda doesn't work too well in the rain. I don't see much rain in the ice rinks during hockey practice, a little now and then in the practice rink, but out here on the lacrosse field you get soaked. It does change the pace of the game, and some people love to get wet, but it ruins my coffee. That's just not right. If there's one thing I hope my boys really focus on this summer it's controlling the game. You can't control the weather, but you might just be able to take control of the game. You don't want to be reactive all the time, you need to be 1 second ahead of your opponent Some of this comes with confidence. Hesitation in either game can make or break a play. Avoiding these delays comes from practice, effort, and smart game play. You have to know where your going, and what you're going to do once you get control of the puck or the ball. You need to make good passes, and take productive shots. Bad passes and wild shots in lacrosse make for a lot of frustration, but if you make a bad pass, or miss the net you need to shake it off and relax. Refocus and get back into your game. Sometimes a few mistakes can get under a team's skin and start unraveling things quickly. That's about the time you need to settle your team down and in some cases you may need to do the opposite and bring in a little enthusiasm. Everything is built on a good foundation, and that means the fundamentals. I also believe you need to take a break every once in a while. Recharge the batteries, and get back that hungry “ I want to play” feeling rather than start going through the motions and slowly start burning out. I've gotten to catch a few minutes here and there of some really great Mets games. It keeps my mind off other sports – sometimes that's a necessary distraction.

No comments: