Coach Heldt's Notes

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Wake me when it’s winter

Devin drove home this week for a visit just in time for us to watch the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup. As everyone knows, it was a great game right up to the very last second. When it was time for him to head back north, his jeep wouldn’t start. I was at work when my wife called me to tell me this. When I got home I soon discovered I couldn’t fix it, and it would have to be towed into the shop in the morning. We didn’t have a lot of time, because we had to go to Tyler’s school for his award ceremony. It was extremely hot and humid in the auditorium, but we hung in there to see Ty take the stage for the Presidential award. I regretted wearing so much polyester. What was I thinking? At the end of the presentation we went outside just in time for the rain, but it felt good just to get some fresh air and move around while we waited for Tyler to meet up with us to go home. We were off to the ice cream stand to celebrate all his hard work, and our release from our recent captivity. As the heat and humidity swept into central New York, our office building air conditioner – which had worked fine all winter, decided to quit. Luckily there was a separate system to keep all our communication equipment and servers cool. The temptation to move my office into the server room became great, but I refused to give in and instead, I tried to focus on a picture of an ice rink on my computer screen. Think hockey. Think hockey. Think about ice. Think about Zambonies; circling, circling, circling, the rink. Storms rolled into the area with great force early the next morning, but did nothing to cool the air. Where were those snowstorms when you needed them? Devin headed home this morning to the Great White North, but I don’t think he’ll run into any snow. Rain yes, snow – it’ll be a while. Now it’s time for me to strap some ice bags to my head and take a nap. Wake me when it’s winter!

No comments: